Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:30:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: just a question

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:17:01PM -0500, Nathan Mace wrote:
> > for those of you that run ftp servers, what ftp deamon do you use and why?
> > i'm setting up a small server for some friends, no more that 4-5 users.  i'm
> > considering either proftpd or the ftpd deamon that is part of freebsd.
> > basically i just want to know what it is that you guys use, and if there's
> > something about one in paticular that makes you like it better

Just use the ftpd that comes by default. It is small and works. I also use
lukemftpd; it is also small but provides lots of interesting features.

> Use "sftpd", the secure shell ftp facility for max. security.
> And there is a gratis ssh/scp/sftp client available for windows..google
> for "putty".. that works a treat.

I reviewed some GUI clients last year:

File transfer options -- Part I: Secure iXplorer
 http://www.apachetoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-01-12-003-06-OS-LF-AD
File transfer options -- Part 2: WinSCP
 http://www.apachetoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-03-14-001-06-OS-LF-AD

(I think these programs have been updated and improved since I last
installed them.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/