Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 10:27:59 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@egenetics.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem seeing old 4.0-C filesystems from 4.0-R boot floppy

Hi

I asked this question on FreeBSD-questions, but didn't receive an
answer. Since this at least overlaps with FreeBSD-stable's domain, I
thought I'd forward the question here, in the hope that someone can help.

I (in a fit of madness) managed to hose my FreeBSD machine by installing
the /usr/src from 4.0-R, doing a make buildworld, make installworld. Since
I was running with an old 4.0-C kernel (from about April 1999), the new
binaries refused to run, core-dumping because of an unknown syscall. Since
I was unable to boot the 4.0-C kernels I had, I booted from a 4.0-R
boot floppy, and tried to get sanity back using the fixit floppy.

Unfortunately, when I try and see my filesystems, I can't see /usr or
/var. This machine only has a single hard disk in it, which is on the
secondary IDE controller (so as not to conflict with my SCSI controller -
the computer freezes up if my IDE disk is on the primary IDE, and the SCSI
disk is installed). The disk is the master on that controller. Under
4.0-C, the filesystems were on /dev/wd2s1a (root), /dev/wd2s1f (/usr) and
/dev/wd2s1e (/var). Since these devices didn't exist when I went into
fixit mode, I managed to create them using the MAKEDEV from the fixit
floppy. (Once I've got everything mounted, I can make a new 4.0-R kernel
from the sources which are on my IDE disk)

However, when I try and mount things, I can only mount the root
filesystem. Both the /dev/ad2s1f and /dev/ad2s1e give me an 'invalid
superblock' message.

So:

Does anyone have an explanation for what might be going on here?

Can someone send me the correct major/minor numbers for ad2s1* device
nodes. I am not entirely convinced that MAKEDEV created them correctly
(since I had to hack it to get it to work), and I can try and and mknod
the correct device nodes directly.

Thanks for any assistance,
Peter
--