Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:27:23 +0300
From:      Maxim Mazurok <maxim@km.ua>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: isp(4)

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 03:45:50PM +0300, Maxim Mazurok wrote:

>>> Now, disks in this alpha - old SCSI on sym(4) controller.
>>> I need change all disks in this server.
>>> I have FC-AL isp(4) controller and some FC-AL disks. Controller and disks
>>> are tested under freebsd-i386 and freebsd-sparc64 and worked perfectly.
>>>
>>> So, i have two questions:
>>>
>>> 1. anybody use isp(4) under freebsd-alpha?
>>
>>Not in production, I have used it for some experiments in the past.
>
>ok
>
>>> 2. can alpha srm boot from isp(4) directly widthout any another disks in
>>> system?
>>
>>Typicall not, given that the SRM console firmware for Fibrechannel only
>>supports Emulex adapters.  DEC/CPQ/HP only support Emulex on Alpha for Tru64
>>& OpenVMS, thats why.
>
>it's bad, but Qlogic 2100 - it's standart CAM controller. and alpha SRM most
>frendly to any cards, in comparison with sparc64.
>I found very old PCI alpha and at next week try to boot from Qlogic FC-AL.

So, alpha SRM can't boot from Qlogic 2100. it's fact.
I have mo question :)
Can i boot loader (or width kernel) from floppy or CDROM, and after this
mount rootFS from isp(4)?
if YES, what i need to do for create image for floppy(preffered) or cdrom?

P.S. sorry for my bad english.

--
Maxim Mazurok  (MMP2-RIPE)