Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:12:12 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: utility to set idle timeout on ata drives

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 10:33:03PM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Bruce Cran wrote:
> > If people are interested I can add more power management features
> > and possibly create a package/port of it.
>
> It it really necessary to use a configure script and associated junk to
> build a utility that is less than 500 lines of code?

It's not necessary at the moment, and I've removed it all in version 0.02
in favour of a very simple Makefile.
However, if I'm making a port of it, the configure stuff makes it easier
for users to reconfigure where to install it, any options which appear etc.
I personally think that although the configure scripts massively bloat
the package, it makes it easier for end-users since most packages use it,
and it's generally more user-friendly than manually editing a Makefile to
change options, where to install, libs and all that.  In addition, the
current version is very basic, and I'm already planning to extend it to
handle all the other power management issues - my aim is to have a program
that eventually correctly handles more or less the complete feature set
of power management in ata drives.

--
Bruce Cran