Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 11:02:13 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Links within the Handbook

On Thu, 16 May 2002 13:27:31 +0100
Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net> wrote:

> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:28:19PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 07:55:53AM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > >
> > > I wonder whether, instead of symlinking FAQ/ and handbook/, we could
> > > just install index.html files that have the necessary META headers to
> > > redirect the user to ../doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/... as necessary?
> > >
> > > That should do the right thing, and it should work irrespective of the
> > > web server configuration.
> >
> > Agreed.  I'm working on it, although it may prove too much for me (I expect
> > to need help on the Makefile stuff).
>
> Attached is a patch which does this, and works (for a new installation).
>
> However, it doesn't attempt to deal with the fact that existing installations
> have a symlink at /FAQ and this version makes a directory at /FAQ.
> Is this something that install can deal with on it's own ?  I don't know how
> to deal with this, and am not sure that it's safe for me to try given that I
> don't really understand make yet.
>
> Also, I'm not sure how long the redirect should be.  I've gone for 3 seconds
> because anything higher seemed too long, and anything lower seemed, well, too
> short.
>
> Oh, and I fully admit to having thrown this together.
>
> Anyway, comments appreciated, but patches would be best.
>
> Ceri
>
> --
> get the cool shoe shine

Can't we, as in the doc project, include an entity such as:

<!ENTITY FAQ 'FAQ LOCATION HERE'>

then in all links to the FAQ in the build do &faq;/this page here?

I've experimented with this in the www build, using includes.sgml
as a map to follow and it seems to work...  I think we also
already have an &base; entity definition.

Ceri, I don't know if you've played with that in any way, but
I really hope it helps...

Right now I lack the time to look this over, I promise to get
with you on it.

While your at this, what should we do about packages without
pkg-descr files, I spoke to dirk, who cares for mkisofs.  Apperently
the current way they generate this makes it very difficult to
add a pkg-descr file.  I was thinking, of course, that perhaps
we could just create the files ourselves and link them internally
as part of -doc, but thats something I'm trying to avoid.

Another solution is to add another filename roll (I debate on
this) which could be like:

<filename roll="descr/port">

but this still seems like we will be creating the pkg-descr
files ourselves.  Perhaps mkisofs can link to cdrtools, as
its the "mother" port.  I'll write up some kind of more
formal notice to -doc asking for opinions later...

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.FreeBSD.org  -The Power To Serve