Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 18:21:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        achar@topic.mv.us.adobe.com (Alan Char)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, support@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Free BSD problems and questions

Alan Char stands accused of saying:
> 	Pentium with an Intel Zappa board, with I believe
> 		the Triton chip set (I'll have to check the pci
> 		driver messages again.)

I can't help you with the major problem; I'm sure one or more of the
motherboard experts will...

> Smaller issues, in no particular order:
>
> When I installed Free BSD, I asked it to install BootEasy, but
> apparently it installed it on the second disk, since when I boot,
> it still boots DOS.  To boot Free BSD, I have to insert the
> Free BSD boot floppy and type sd(1,a)/kernel.  In this light,
> I have these questions:
>
> 	Can I install BootEasy on my DOS disk, and will
> 	it work if I do?  In particular, I'm wondering if
> 	it will it work with Windows 95, who seems to be
> 	doing weird boot things.

Yes, you can install it on the first disk.  I've read reports that it works
OK with Win95, but I can't speak from firsthand experience.

> 	Is there a way I can change the default device on
> 	the boot floppy?  I wouldn't mind having to stick in
> 	the floppy to boot Free BSD, but it's a pain to have
> 	to sit there while it's booting so I can type the
> 	name of the device.

BootEasy is a better way to go.  If your root filesystem is on sd1, you're
going to have to rebuild the bootblocks anyway.  Look in
/usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/boot.c, then say 'make intstall' there,
and rewrite the boot record with 'disklabel -B sd1'

> 	Also, is there a way to have a default kernel name
> 	so that I can only type the device, without having
> 	to add the /kernel?  This seems to be standard
> 	practice on this flavor of UNIX booters, I'm surprised
> 	it's not already built in.  For that matter, it would
> 	nice if there were default partition numbers, so that
> 	I could just say sd(1).  Again, this seems to be
> 	standard on most UNIX booters.

The problem with adding features to the bootloader is size; in some
situations, there just isn't room for any more features.  Work is
apparently underway for an extra bootstrap phase to deal with this problem.

> 	When I booted off floppy, it says to boot using
> 	hd(1,a)/kernel if sd and wd are both installed, or
> 	something like that.  Not knowing what it was talking
> 	about, I tried that, and it started to boot Free BSD,
> 	but after going through all the drivers, it wanted to
> 	change root to /dev/sd0a instead of /dev/sd1a, so it
> 	failed.  I figured out later that I could boot by
> 	saying sd(1,a)/kernel, but was this earlier problem
> 	a bug or a feature?  Maybe the message should change
> 	to be more informative, or less misleading?

'wd' are IDE disks; the message is there to inform about the technique
that deals with the non-correspondence between SCSI minor numbers and
BIOS disk numbers when booting a SCSI disk in that situation.

> When I boot, it says that the PCI driver is using 8 megabutes of
> memory!  Is this real memory?  That seems excessive, even if I do
> have 32 Mbytes of memory.

I believe that means that 8M of address space is mapped to the PCI
bus, not that the driver is using 8M of core.

> I was thinking that maybe I could work around this problem by having
> the virtual console run in vt220 mode.  Do you think this would help?
> Is it true that I need to rebuild the kernel to do this?  Also, I
> wouldn't mind if the consoles had more lines, since I have a fairly
> large screen.  I've seen documentation that this is possible onthe
> pcvt man page, but no explanation really on how.  Kernel rebuild?

Read the top of /etc/sysconfig with regard to loading fonts, and the
manpage for vidcontrol with regard to changing screen size.  Note that you
can't change to a size that you haven't loaded a font for.

> I saw somewhere (release notes?) that the MSDOS file system may
> not work with file systems for DOS after 3.3.  I have DOS 6.2.2.
> Will this be a problem?  It seemed to mount okay, but I was a little
> wary of doing much.  By the way, it was mounted when things started
> to disappear in /usr.  It would be bad if the MSDOS file system
> caused other file systems to scramble a completely different disk!

There have been reports that heavy work on an MSDOS filesystem can cause
problems.  For straightforward back-and-forth transfers, it doesn't
seem to be a problem.

> Wish list:
>
> It would be nice when making partitions if I could pass
> parameters to newfs.  In particular, I like to make the
> "root only" percentage zero on all but the root file
> system, and I like to increase the blocks-per-inode value.
> I think I will probably have to back things up and remake
> file systems after installation to be able to do this.

You can.  say 'newfs', or 'man newfs'

> Speaking of System V, it would also be nice if there were
> a way to put entries in /etc/fstab that aren't automatically
> mounted so I could say "mount /cdrom" when I want to do that.
> Okay, so it's a one-line shell script, but still, it would
> be nice.  I have lots of these one-line shell scripts, like
> mountcd, mountfd, mountdos.  I'll probably want to make
> read-only versions of the last two.  And I will have to make
> some more if my Iomega Zip drive ever arrives.

There's work on this currently in progress.  The initial patches submitted
had some problems, but I expect these will be ironed out shortly 8)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[