Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 05:57:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <siremick@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mucked up partitions, can't boot [REPOST]

[orig question included again at end]

--- Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote:
> You really should split swap up in that kind of situation. I.e. - put
> var and half of swap on da1, and tmp and the rest of swap on da2. The
> kernel will interleave swap usage across both spindles for better
> performance if you do that.

Good tip, thanks... I didn't know that.

> Well, you didn't describe a problem, and you didn't ask a
> question. It's hard to provide guidance without some indication of
> where you are and are trying to go.

Sorry, guess my problem/question didn't communicate well. Upon boot, I get:

Invalid partition
Invalid partition
No /boot/loader

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
Boot:
Invalid partition
No /kernel

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
Boot:

The rest of my email then applies, so I'm including it here for anyone new
jumping in:

Doing another experimental 5.0-REL install where I mucked things up due to
partitioning by-hand. This is now becoming a learning experience on fixit et
al, so although this is just "for fun" I'd like to carry it through "the
hard way" vs just reinstalling.

Anyhow, this system has 4 SCSI disks da0 through da3. I put / on da0, swap
on da1, split da2 50/50 with /var and /tmp, then /usr is on da3. For each
disk I chose A during slice setup to "use entire disk" but then partitioned
manually once that screen came up.

I think what I originally forgot to do was set da0 active as I normally have
always just chosen A during partition setup.

This system is old and can't boot off CD, but I do have the kern, mfsroot,
and fixit floppies. I already tried "fdisk -a da0" as well as "disklabel -w
B da0" but that only made me go from "error 1 lba" on boot to "invalid
partition". I confess to not being familiar with these tools... this is my
first need to use them.

In /dev, I have da0, da0c, da1, da1s1, da1s1b, da1s1c, da2, da2s1, da2s1c,
da2s1d, da2s1e, da3, da3s1, da3s1c, da3s1d

If I do an fdisk da0 partitions 1-3 are <UNUSED> and everything is on
partition 4, but fdisk da1 through da3 it's partition 1 that has data, and
partitions 2-4 are <UNUSED>. All used partitions are "flag 80 (active)"
according to fdisk (I can't see how to make a partition UN-active, only
active).

Anyone willing to help me learn and guide me from here? Thanks

=====
Scott I. Remick   --==--   ICQ: 450152
Save the internet - Use a Mozilla-based browser: http://home.adelphia.net/~sremick/mozilla/
FreeBSD: Because making unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows.
"Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."