Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 22:03:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ether matching in ipfw??

> In trying to clean up this bridging stuff, I just realized that
> ip_fw_chk() contains code for matching Ethernet headers and
> non IP packets!
>
> This hack is just too gross and I plan to rip it out.
> Call me Danish if you like.

yes it was a gross, and, especially, unfinished hack, and you are
welcome to rip it out. I should have done it myself long ago.

HOWEVER: for the future re-inclusion I would be a strong advocate
of a unified firewall interface rather than separate things
(etherfw, ipfw). The reason is because at times one might want
to interleave rules matching ethernet headers, ip headers, tcp
headers, and having separate filters does not support this.

> Does the "ip" in "ipfw" not mean anything to anyone??

for what matters we are already matching TCP flags which are
one layer above IP...

	cheers
	luigi