Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:25:47 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: retrieving and unpacking archives

At 5:51 PM -0700 4/26/99, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>Well, I'm fairly conversant I think but I'm certainly not helpful.

Actually, you have been; hope that's OK! (:-)

>That said, a couple of hints:
>
>make NO_DEPENDS=t extract
>
>from /usr/ports should extract pretty much everything, and
>
>make NO_DEPENDS=t WRKDIRPREFIX=/someplace extract
>
>will put them all under /someplace/usr/ports/category/port/work

That's approximately what I've been doing, albeit a lot more simply.
Here is the Perl calling code I've been using:

        $flags    = "BATCH=1 NO_BUILD=1 NO_DEPENDS=1 NO_INSTALL=1";
        $parms    = "DISTDIR=$distdir WRKDIR=$wrkdir";
        $tasks    = 'fetch checksum extract';
        system("cd $mdir; make $flags $parms $tasks");

I put in the NO_BUILD and NO_INSTALL flags in an effort to kill off
the building and installation of antecedant packages.  It also looks
like I don't need to specify fetch and checksum if I specify extract.
OTOH, I _am_ running this unattended, so BATCH is still required:

        $flags    = 'BATCH=1 NO_DEPENDS=1'
        $parms    = "DISTDIR=$distdir WRKDIR=$wrkdir";
        $tasks    = 'extract';
        system("cd $mdir; make $flags $parms $tasks");

I still have a question, however, wrt dependencies.  In my current
way of doing things, the extract for a package stops if make thinks
there are dependencies to resolve.  Can you suggest a good way to
get make to extract anyway?

-r
--
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.ptf.com/~rdm