Date:      Thu,  6 Jan 2000 06:45:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        d_f0rce@gmx.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limited amount of variables in a multithreaded programm?

>"This really is C-101 type stuff." :-)  ) if you could tell me a book about
>programming FreeBSD. I have Stevens "Advanced programming..." and
>Haviland's "Unix System programming" but there is not much about threads
>in these books. Moreover there is nothing about variable stack sizes in
>threads.

There's a good reason for this... multithreaded programming under UNIX is
very complicated, and it should be avoided in most cases. You certainly
shouldn't try writing a multithreaded program in *any* OS if you don't have
a good, solid understanding of stacks and concurrency first.

My preference at this point would be for you to read a good book on
concurrent programming that digs into things at the instruction level.
Douglas Comer's "Xinu" book is pretty good.

Here's a page you should probably start your research with...

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/os-research/part1/section-21.html