Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:41:27 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Christoph Haas <ch@adimus.de>
Cc:        Adam Migus <amigus@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Semi-Historical Note [jasone@canonware.com: Disinvolvement w

Christoph Haas wrote:

> Adam Migus <amigus@morgan.ucs.mun.ca> writes:
>
> > I am willing to dedicate my free time to this cause as well as any
> > resources I have. My purpose for mailing is to insist that this project
> > warrants support and should not die!
>
> And so do I think. But we should (as I read somewhere else) not limit
> this port to UltraSPARC only. I have a (at least for me) well equipped
> SPARCStation 4 (which uses a 110MHz MicroSPARC = sun4m) that I'm
> willing to boot with *BSD and Solaris 7. I'm interested in learning how
> to port various BSDs to it (Open, Net and now FreeBSD) and to my Alpha
> in my free time, which will not be as much as I would like to have in the next
> months. But nevertheless, let's get it going...
>
> > Is there anyone out there that can take an authoritive role in this project?
>
> I'm afraid, but 1) I don't have the necessary experiences and 2) no
> time at all (well, nearly...).

You're not going to find anyone with the experience to do this; if
someone with the experience was on the project, it would be done.

I too have a SPARCstation 5 and an a few hours a week to load, compile,
test, and file bug reports, and can probably even help with some of
the userland stuff, but just don't have the time to dedicate to a
full-pitch effort on the SPARC port; I have too many other irons in the
fire.

Adam, if you want it, step up to the plate.  Someone long ago offered that
the best way to start this port is to get the entire FreeBSD userland
running on NetBSD-SPARC kernel.  Wanna jump on that?