Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:46:20 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Justin L. Boss" <jlboss@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Someone please help with backup problem

On Sunday 21 April 2002 11:40 pm, Justin L. Boss wrote:
| This is the third time I have asked this.

First, if I follow you, this is a tape problem, not a backup problem; a more
accurate sugject line might help.

Second, the hardware list might help more with device problems.

Third, if you've won "stump the band" after asking questions a couple of
times, and none of the speciality groups seem obvious then it should be cool
to post to -hackers.

Anyway  . . .   have you dont any i/o to the tape successfully, read or write?
Have you tried other media?
Can you use it under any other O/S?

| I'm trying to backup to a Iomega 5G internal tape drive. It seams like
| it is working when I do a:
|
| mt -f /dev/ast0 status
| Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
| Current:  0x01:X3.22-1983      512 bytes      800      none
| ---------available modes---------
| 0:        default              variable       0        none
| 1:        default              variable       0        none
| 2:        default              variable       0        none
| 3:        default              variable       0        none
| ---------------------------------
| File Number: 0    Record Number: 0    Residual Count 0
|
| but when I do a:
|
| mt -f /dev/ast0 erase
| mt: /dev/ast0: erase: Input/output error
|

| and when I do a:
|
| tar -zpcf /dev/ast0 /home
| tar: Removing leading / from absolute path names in the archive.
| tar (child): can't write to /dev/ast0 : Input/output error
|
| my dmesg output for the tape looks like this:
|
| ast0: TAPE <Seagate STT20000A> at ata1-slave using PIO4
|
| I thank you for your help.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go