Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:16:53 +0000
From:      John <comp.john@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   slightly complex query - one machine with two network interfaces

Hello list, I hope you can help.

I have a freebsd 8.0-R machine with a wired and a wireless interface.
The wired network has real IP addresses. I want the wireless to talk to
the wireless network which is behind a NAT/firewall.

The wireless interface on the freebsd box does not want to route
traffic (although it would be nice if it could function as a repeater if
a wireless laptop was in the vicinity closer to it than the actual
access point, but that's another matter). All I want the wireless
interface on the freebsd box to do right at this moment is to talk to
the other wireless devices. The network is 192.168.0.0/24

Now, if I bring both interfaces up on the freebsd box, routing on that
box turns horrible. but the routing table looks normal with 0.0.0.0
traffic going out on the wired re0 interface. I can ping the wireless
interface from another computer on the private network, but that's about
it. Can anyone give me pointers on how to make the wireless interface
more usable? basically, I want to export via either nfs or samba some
shares to the wireless network, but routing ropiness seems to kill this.

cheers
--
John - comp dot john at googlemail dot com
OpenBSD firewall | FreeBSD desktop | Ubuntu Karmic laptop