Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:02:47 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mly/da, SYNCHRONISE CACHE

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 15:24:59 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> (da3:mly0:1:4:0): SYNCHRONIZE CACHE. CDB: 35 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> (da3:mly0:1:4:0): error code 0
>
> I'm probably doing something wrong here.  Any idea what?

I'm not sure you are.  It looks like what is happening is that we're
getting back a CAM status of SCSI status error and a SCSI status of check
condition, but the error code valid bit isn't set and there is no error
code.

One thing I noticed is that the da(4) driver isn't checking the autosense
valid bit before it decides to print out an error for the cache sync
command.  (It doesn't go through the normal error routines, since some
drives complain, and it usually unsucessfully attempts to filter out the
illegal request errors that often come back.)

Anyway, the autosense valid bit isn't the issue here, since it looks like
you set that every time you get a check condition back from the board.

So, it looks like the board is spitting the command out with a SCSI status
of check condition, but without any sense information.  (Or at least no
valid error code, scsi_sense_print() won't print out anything else if it
doesn't see a valid error code.)

> Should I trap these CDBs in the driver and use an out-of-band cache synch?

Is there a non-SCSI cache sync you can use?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org