Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:44:01 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "asmodai@wxs.nl" <asmodai@wxs.nl>, "FreeBSD questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to tell if softupdates are enabled?

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:25:13 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

>> Just re-did the whole operation.
>> Revised "ln-s" links.
>> Revised I had "options SOFTUPDATES" spelled correctly.
>
>Ran config?

I finally found the problem.

I am using a BT SCSI controller for the first time with an old
SCSI drive (which is also new to me).
When FreeBSD had reported the drive could only do 5MB I had set
the drive to 5MB sync instead of async.
After all software options seemed to have been exausted I
thought of this...

I changed the SCSI card config back to async... mount reported
no difference...
rebuilt kernel AFTER the drive was back to async... typed mount
and all is well.
The flag in the volume was set so it was not even necessary to
do tunefs again.

... On my way to the SCSI FAQ to read on async/sync...