Date:      Sun, 29 May 2005 12:49:53 +0800 (WST)
From:      David Adam <zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>
To:        Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
Cc:        Remi Degruson <salami@degruson.isa-geek.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (SOLVED) 5.4RELEASE: problem with my ST34311A UDMA666 controller

Subhro,

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Subhro wrote:
> This is not something new or unexpected. Windows are Linux run happily
> on a lot of garbage grade hardware. But FreeBSD is very fussy about
> hardware. Thats the reason why a Linux box CAN create strange situations
> due to hardware. But a FreeBSD box would not even be ready to boot up if
> it does not find everything in tiptop condition.

Actually, I'm not so sure. I have had at least one case where FreeBSD (in
safe mode) has been the only thing that will boot with a dodgy HDD
installed. Linux (a 2.4 kernel, admittedly) and Windows both refused to
start.

I was rather glad, too, because it was the only way I could get data off
that disk!

Cheers,

David Adam
zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au