Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2007 05:41:26 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        Chess Griffin <chess@chessgriffin.com>
Subject:   Re: Two space indentation displays incorrectly in diff

--nextPart4243409.gHYmf1S2Wy

On Monday 08 October 2007, Chess Griffin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on some more doc diffs to submit and I am paying careful
> attention to the FDP Primer.  The problem is that when I insert a
> two space indent after the first line of a <para>, it shows up as 1
> space when I create the diff -u.
>
> This is in my .vimrc:
>
> autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.sgml,*.ent,*.html,*.tex,*.xsl set
> autoindent formatoptions=3Dtcq2l textwidth=3D70 shiftwidth=3D2
> softtabstop=3D2 tabstop=3D8
>
> When I edit the sgml, it looks ok:
>
>     <sect2 id=3D"consoles-vidcontrol">
>       <title>Changing Console Video Modes</title>
>
>       <para>The FreeBSD console default video mode may be adjusted to
>         1024x768, 1280x1024, or any other size supported by your
>         graphics chip and monitor.  To use a different video mode, you
>         must first recompile your kernel and include two additional
>
> But in the diff it looks like this:
>
> +    <sect2 id=3D"consoles-vidcontrol">
> +      <title>Changing Console Video Modes</title>
> +
> +      <para>The FreeBSD console default video mode may be adjusted to
> +       1024x768, 1280x1024, or any other size supported by your
> +       graphics chip and monitor.  To use a different video mode, you
> +       must first recompile your kernel and include two additional
>
> It appears that there is only a one space indent after the first <para>
> line.
>
> I also did ":set list" on the diff and it looks like this:
>
> +    <sect2 id=3D"consoles-vidcontrol">$
> +      <title>Changing Console Video Modes</title>$
> +$
> +      <para>The FreeBSD console default video mode may be adjusted to$
> +^I1024x768, 1280x1024, or any other size supported by your$
> +^Igraphics chip and monitor.  To use a different video mode, you$
> +^Imust first recompile your kernel and include two additional$
> +^Ioptions:</para>$
>
> I am stumped as to why this occurs or how to fix it.

Obviously vim in converting the 8 spaces into one tab.  When displayed=20
this turns into "indentation to the first tabstop (=3D8)" which means only=
=20
and indentation of 7 is visible (deducting the plus sign).

I don't know how to teach vim not to do the conversion and I don't know if=
=20
that might even be the right formatting, but I hope this helps.

> When the diff is applied to the original source, it comes
> out fine, so maybe it's ok?
>
> Any advice from expert vimmers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
> Chess

=2D-=20