Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:40:51 -0400
From:      Tim Holmes <tim@unixtechs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: searching ports doesn work

 I think you did what I did.  and it does take a while.  There's a
 much easier and faster way to do this if you're online.  I wasn't
 at the time, so I had to build it manually.

 When you do the make search key"blah" and there isn't a /usr/ports/INDEX5
 it builds one.  I ~think~ it basically looks at all packages finds out info
 about it, and then builds the index.  However if you download it, it's faster.

 make fetchindex

 Do that in /usr/ports and it will download the INDEX5, put it in /usr/ports
 and now when you type make seach key="blah" it will have that to search.

 I think it took my PII 400 36 hours to build it's INDEX5.  Poor machine.

 tdh