Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:18:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Christopher Stein <stein@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   gdb remote connection

Hi, I discovered the source of my problem and solved it. For those
interested, here is an explanation:

The flags of the serial I/O device to be used for remote
debugging needs to be changed in the config file. I plugged
a null modem cable across the two ports labeled 1 (the other one
labeled 2) on the back of the computer. I assumed that these
correspond to serial port 1 as the FreeBSD kernel sees the
world (wrong assumption). Therefore, I only changed the permissions
of sio0 in the config file.

I was able to communicate across the serial line using device
/dev/cuaa1 and doing things like echo "hello" > /dev/cuaa1.
GDB, however, was unable to establish a remote connection when
I did "target remote /dev/cuaa1" in kgdb. I started wondering
about why the device has the number "1" and not "0". So
I decided to change the permissions of sio1 in addition. It
works! So it turns out the FreeBSD maps the physically labelled
(i.e. etched in metal) port 2 to sio0 and port 1 to sio1!
Sweet.

-Chris