Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:13:51 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jeremiah@sherline.com>
Cc:        Bean <bean@freebsd.org>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Review of the FreeBSD advocacy site

Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
> > > Perhaps the handbook and FAQ links could be in bigger letters,
> > > perhaps in some ugly color like red.  Too many newbies are
> > > flamed on IRC (and this discouraged about FreeBSD) when their
> > > questions are right there.  I know...
> >
> > Perhaps there could be a big, red, "Test drive FreeBSD" button.
>
> hah.  :)

"Hah!  Good idea!"

or

"Hah!  Not possible!"

I have to tell you... it's definitely possible, and actually
not that incredibly hard.

For my last year at Whistle, I tended toinstall ports using
a CGI script with an Apache server with a hacked MIME-Types
file with cryptographically signed bundles, and a local MIME
type and external handler that could be glued into the local
browser.

Root would use the browser, click on a port or package, iot
would get copied across, have the signature verified using
the public key of the publisher, build (if it were a port),
and install.

One click installation of software on FreeBSD.

For the "test drive", all you would need to do is unpack into
an FS mountable from FreeBSD, and deal with it.  It won't work
with Windows XP, because FreeBSD can't write NTFS properly,
but it can work with MSDOS-FS, using an installer written to
run under Windows (grabbing a level 3 then level 0 volume lock
would even let you install a boot manager from Windows).

-- Terry