Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 17:57:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcsh NIS strangeness

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Christoph
Kukulies had to walk into mine and say:

> [ yplib.c patch]
>
> > I compiled a new tcsh with a replacment yplib.o that has this patch and
> > put in in place of the old one on ftp.ctr.columbia.edu:/pub/misc/freebsd.
> > If you can test it for me and confirm that it works, or apply the patch
>
> I just downloaded it, and copied it over to the machine in question.
> Logged in (with old tcsh - the ports compiled one), ls ~jolitz - nothing.
> ./tcsh.6.07.02
> bach> ls ~jolitz
>
> yep foo baz
>
> everything there. So did the 'un-ported' version of tcsh.6.07.02 as of
> yesterday which I grabbed from your site.

Hm, I'm confused. Are you saying it works or are you saying it's still
broken? :)

The correct way to test it is to log in using the patched tcsh binary
that I gave you as the default login shell. When I first reproduced the
bug, I did it by logging in and typing ~ls someuser immediately before
issuing any other commands. This pattern always held: each time I logged
in, the bug would manifest. (As you noted, it goes away if you do a
cd ~someuser later.)

I tested the patched version by moving the broken /bin/tcsh to /bin/tcsh.bad
and putting the new tcsh in place as /bin/tcsh. Then I logged out and
logged back in again and tried to do an ls ~someuser again to duplicate
the bug. With the patched version, the bug didn't show up and ls worked
correctly.

In other words, you need to really install the new tcsh and log in
again in order to test the patch correctly: if you log in with the old
broken tcsh and then run the same broken binary again, the bug will _appear_
to go away, but will really still be there and it will show up again
the next time you log in.

> > and build a new libc.so, I would appreciate it. I have already committed
> > this patch to -current, but I want to make sure it fixes your problem
> > before I put it in the 2.2 branch.
>
> I will build a new libc.so.3.0 right now and I'll put it up to the
> machine (which is 3.0 also and that NIX client machine I tested on).
> BTW, the tcsh.6.07.02 is a shared version, so it ran against the unpatched
> version of libc in the test above.

In the patched version I gave you, I linked yplib.o directly into the
executable which overrides the yplib.o in libc.so, so this binary should
work no matter what. Once you generate a patched libc.so.3.0, then the
other binary which you compiled (and the first binary I gave you via
FTP) should also work correctly.

-Bill