Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 1996 10:14:50 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-gnu@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/grep Makefile grep.1 grep.c

>David Greenman writes:
>>>wosch       96/02/01 22:45:28
>>>
>>>  Modified:    gnu/usr.bin/grep  Makefile grep.1 grep.c
>>>  Log:
>>>  recursive grep, enabled with -DHAVE_FTS=1
>>
>>   Gack...Why? Why don't you just use find/xargs like it was
>intended?
>
>Because it is more comfortable.

   That's not a very good argument.

>Do you use find/xargs for chmod(1) etc? Why FreeBSD has fts(3)?

   -R shouldn't have been added to chmod(1). For one thing, it then leads
to the need for the -H, -L, and -P options. This is escentially completely
duplicating functionality that is already in find(1).
   I think there are times when new options/features should be added to
commands - whenever there isn't another way to easily accomplish something.
Adding file hierarchy traversal to simple commands isn't one of them. IMO,
there's no end to this slippery path.

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project