Date:      Wed, 27 May 2009 05:01:31 +0900
From:      Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make.conf no x option

>> i think this whole thing is worth a few days to settle in our heads.
>> essentially, if we believe that freebsd is used extensively in
>> headless server deployments, we should make that easy and smooth.
> But even a headless server can run X clients with the display being on
> some other (presumably non-headless) machine. That is on of the
> beauties of the X Windowing System.

[ thanks, but i am overly-familiar with the beauties and the some of the
warts of x. ]

someone installing a server may or may not want the x client version of
a package as opposed to readline or curses.  but, imiho, it would be
good to make such decisions centralized, somewhat strong, and pretty
clear.

> The only part that would make no sense to install on a headless
> machine is the X server itself

and the support for it and the toys it occasionally seems to drag in.

i really do not want the x client versions of emacs, cvsup, ...
actually, i can not think of any ports i run on headless machines that i
want spawning windows on my glass.  ymmv, of course.

i think that i would like to be able to say headless install and have to
ack any port which wants to drag in x.

randy