Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:41:57 -0400
From:      Rob <r17fbsd@xxiii.com>
To:        Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Does a low-cost, reliable switch exist?

Modulok wrote:
> I run a small network of under 20 clients. As such we don't have $500+ to
> drop on a Cisco switch. However the desktop consumer grade stuff is quickly
> turning me into an insomniac. I'm tired of being woke at 3:00 am to go fix
> network problems. Does anyone know if something like this exists? (see
> below)
> The dream: An ethernet switch that is, above all else, RELIABLE. I would

I've had great luck with Dell's switches.  We're a small office of 5 people and probably 16 or more desktops / servers / printers / etc on the internal LAN.  4 years ago I put in an inexpensive Dell PowerConnect 2024 24 port 10/100 switch;  it worked for years without a glitch.

Last January, realizing most our stuff was gigabit-capable, I replaced it with a Dell PowerConnect 2724 for ~ $270 USD.  24 ports, all 10/100/1000 plus add-on fiber x'cvr capability on two ports.  "Web manageable" with a bunch of features we don't use.  The auto-negotiate has worked fine with everything I've plugged in.  No glitches in over 7 months now.

  -RW