Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:05:03 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Propagating the nodump flag

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> writes:
> > Attached below is a port of NetBSD's patch to FreeBSD's dump(8).  The
> > patch is probably more complex than it should have been due to dump's
> > obscure tree-walker.  For the technical details of what it does, see:
> > http://lists.openresources.com/NetBSD/tech-kern/msg00453.html (note
> > that the patch there is not identical to the one below, and should not
> > be used; the reference is provided for its excellent technical
> > explanation of the patch).
>
> 1) does our dump(8) have useful functionality that NetBSD's doesn't?

Yes.

> 2) does NetBSD's dump(8) have useful functionality that ours doesn't?

Yes.

> If the answers to these questions are "no" and "yes" respectively, as
> I suspect they may be, we should just replace our dump(8) with
> NetBSD's. If the answers are "yes" and "yes", we should merge
> evrything NetBSD's dump(8) does that ours doesn't into our dump(8) and
> strive to keep the diffs between the two as small as possible.

I once [1] merged the NetBSD and FreeBSD versions of dump. The
patches were not deemed acceptable [2] but David O'Brien said [3]
he would handle committing the nodump changes within a week. As
a result I canned the project but the nodump changes never
actually got comitted for whatever reason.

The patch is still linked to from [1]. It basically has all the
NetBSD functionality + FreeBSD specific tweaks as the NetBSD
version of dump(1) is much more up to date. It tries to reduce
the diffs from the NetBSD version as much as possible at the
cost of bigger diffs against our own dump(1).

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=55466+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-arch/20001217.freebsd-arch
[2] http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=70863+73575+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-arch/20001217.freebsd-arch
[3] http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=70863+73575+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-arch/20001217.freebsd-arch

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen@vangelderen.org

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it;
 and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I
 would also do that." -- Abraham Lincoln, August 22, 1862