Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:56:02 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Things I'd like to see in 2.2.6

Richard Wackerbarth writes:

> Here's an interesting policy question.
>
> If some module requires a few patches to work properly in our
> OS/File structure, we typically build a "port" which consists of
> a Makefile and a set of patch files.
>
> Now, it the package author incorporates all of our patches, do we
> keep the port which now consists of simply a Makefile which
> primarily tells where to get the tarball?
>
> What of a "new" package which starts out without needing patches?

Keep the port. Many of us use /usr/ports as our first stop when
searching for something. The ability to "make install" to download,
compile, and register an application in the package database is a very
valuable function to me.

Registering it in the package database makes it easier to remove in the
future, possibly for an upgrade.

When installing a new FreeBSD system one of the things I check is
/var/db/pkg on my running system in order to quickly choose packages to
be installed on the new system.

Actually I'd like to see every file in FreeBSD registered somehow in a
package-like database. This would be a good first step toward live
binary upgrades of running systems. Much like I routinely do for SGI
systems.