Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:06:13 +0200
From:      Bruno Ducrot <ducrot@poupinou.org>
To:        Stefan 'Steve' Tell <steve.tell@crashmail.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: powernow0: no match for extended cpuid 780

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 04:11:00PM +0000, Stefan 'Steve' Tell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install FreeBSD 6.1-RC1 on my Acer Aspire 1304LC Notebook. That
> notebook has a "AMD Athlon XP 1800+" CPU.
>
> The installation process succeeded but I can't get any power management to
> work. If I load cpufreq.ko I get:
>
>     powernow0: <PowerNow! K7> on cpu0
>     powernow0: ACPI MAX frequency not found

That means ACPI table are likely broken with regard to frequencies
tables.

>     powernow0: no match for extended cpuid 780

And that means the legacy bios tables are broken as well.

Maybe by chance a BIOS upgrade will be ok.

If that's not the case, or BIOS is alredy the newest, we could resolve
that issue by hardcoding sane values under the powernow driver,
or by rewritting the DSDT of this laptop.
The second solution will give you the oportunity to not have to
patch powernow for each upgrades.

>     device_attach: powernow0 attach returned 6
>
> "/etc/rc.d/powerd start" brings
>
>     powerd: lookup freq: No such file or directory
>
> Are there any chances to get a working cpufreq-mechanism on that machine?
>
> Here you can find the dmesg output:
>
>  * <http://daemon.crashmail.de/~stell/paradise_dmesg.txt>;
>
> And a complete lists of all sysctls:
>
>  * <http://daemon.crashmail.de/~stell/paradise_sysctl.txt>;
>    very litte hw.acpi.*, hum?

Well, that seems normal to my eyes.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.