Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:31:52 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: preferred GUI toolkit for FreeBSD?

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 02:17:02PM +0000, j mckitrick wrote:

Hi,

>=20
> There aren't a lot of options, but I was wondering if the GTK toolkit is
> a safe bet.  I've decided to learn a native toolkit rather than Java
> first, unless something major changes my mind in the near future.

Well, in fact a quick look at x11-toolkits reveals that there are indeed
a lot of options :-)

My very humble opinion on some toolkits:

GTK+ : It's written in C, it works pretty well, version 2.0 just came
out. The obvious choice for people who prefer writing in C. I coded the
Fish with it and I really like it. You can use Glade to create UIs.

Motif: It's still a standard in some places. It has very good (and very
expensive) tools for development, it's now semi-free, but it's real PITA
to work with if you don't have some tool to help you (e.g. RapidApp)

Forms: It has been discontinued, but it's a simple and easy to use
toolkit. Lyx uses it. Comes with a form editor too.

FLTK: A C++ toolkit, don't have any experience with it.

Qt: Trolltech's famous C++ toolkit. IMHO, the best choise if you are
into C++ programming, also comes with a forms editor.

If you are going to use C, I'd recommend you GTK+, if you are going the
C++ way I'd go for Qt. There are also C++ bindings for C++ (gtk--). Both
libraries are pretty good.

Cheers,
--=20
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net