Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 22:44:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two queries [ KDE / XFree86 ]

> > Thanks for pointing. What is your opinion about it (stability, compatability,
> > performance etc)?
>
> Haven't had time to screw with it any more than just a basic twm setup. I'd
> have to reinstall most of my X apps to use it (and I already have a nice
> 3.3.6 setup right now).
>
> I made it so I could try it out seriously sometime.. right now my priority
> is getting other things ready for 4.0-RELEASE.

I've been using it since the release of 3.9.1.7, and I've really enjoyed
using it.  It's somewhat faster than 3.x, but that may just be because my
video card has better drivers this time around.

The release notes detail how XFree86 has become easier and easier to build
and install, and it's true.  I've always scared away from editing the 3.x
config by hand - the config file format is well organised this time.  As I
mentioned in a previous mail in this chain, compilation and installation
was a total breeze.  Adding a single line to site.def, making
World/Install and that was that - it took a while, but it was plain
sailing.

Usage wise it's fast, it's smooth and it's been completely
reliable.  Aside from a few teething problems with -current (which is to
be expected).  If you're waiting for it's official release, you will be
pleasantly suprised :)

Cliff Rowley

- while (!asleep) { code(); }