Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:50:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tony Li <tli@jnx.com>
To:        stefan@exis.net
Cc:        jdd@vbc.net, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, chad@gaianet.net, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

   That was one idea a few months ago, but we got some MegaT ds1 mux units
   for better threwput, since the cisco can not handle the load ballance of
   the 2 Ts that are on it.

The cisco does load sharing, not load balancing.  The MUX (of course), does
MUXing and can increase your effective bandwidth.  Whether it's
cost-effective depends on your personal situation.  In general, a cisco
will give you about 80% of the bandwidth of two T1's through load sharing.
This gets worse if the number of entries in your fast switching cache is
low.

   But from everything that I have seen, from the o'really books, to the
   lame teachings of my cne lessions, and people from cisco and andersen
   consulting say a t1 run at 1.54 (after all the overhead).  If it was
   that high, 3.0 then something is wrong in IEEE land.

You are correct in that T1 is 1.54Mbps (_before_ overhead), however it's
full duplex.  Thus, the _aggregate_ bandwidth of the link is ~3Mbps.

Tony