Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:33:21 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>, t6nu <chain@daemon.bsd.ee>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Choppy picture with Sawfish+GNOME and fxtv

John Utz wrote:

> i am utterly astounded that this works!
>
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Erich Zigler wrote:
>
> > > type this hack into shell...  and try fxtv again. (it did work for me :)
> > > echo "int main() { while(1) {} return 0;}" > hack.c && gcc hack.c -o hack && ./hack &
> >
> > Awesome it worked. Any idea why this works? :)
> >
> > Also, is it supposed to chew up 90%+ of the CPU?
>
> yup! this code is a permanent while loop. it has no function calls in it,
> so the OS is never free to choose to defer running the function so that
> it can run something else. (more or less! this is an overly simple
> explanation of multitasking :-) )
>
> why hogging up the computer could possibly fix fxtv on sawfish is utterly
> incomprehensible.
>
> it's sort of like saying 'here put these huge bags of concrete in your
> honda, it will accelerate faster and give you a higher top speed'....

I wondier if this is due to Gnome's "desktop management" stuff.
It may be seeing the XFree window over the desktop and doing something
strange.  If you run XFree with TWM and then cover up the fxtv window
partially do you get the same choppyness?

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer