Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 00:46:02 PDT
From:      faried nawaz <nawaz921@cs.uidaho.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

Chuck Robey wrote...

   On Wed, 22 May 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

   > May I suggest asking on -questions, or in the news group instead?

   We're discussing what's to be changed in -current.  This is the correct list
   for it.  We just have to understand that your favorite editor is not
   being discussed.  It's the newbie editor that's under discussion, whether
   to not to keep it as ee, or change it out for pico.

There are far fewer newbies (if any) on -current than on -questions or in
the newsgroup.  Most people here use vi or emacs or joe, and have done so
for years.  I agree that this is the correct list to discuss a change in
-current, but, as I believe Terry meant, it probably isn't the best list
for soliciting names of newbie editors.

I have a feeling that if people in -questions or the newsgroup were asked,
they would probably want pico.

I've never used `ee' in the install, but if I'm correct, it's used for
post-install configuration (am I right?).  Why not give the user a choice
of an editor (from the packages) before it is needed/used for editing
purposes?

I personally don't like the idea of a "newbie" editor.  Ever read those
jokes about Linux "sysadmins" and pico?  I'm not sure I would like to
hear anything similar about FreeBSD from any quarter.