Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:06:00 -0800
From:      Eric Dannewitz <ericdano@jazz-sax.com>
To:        Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick@netzuno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: And Apache Problems

Ah. Ok. Any suggestions on a quick way to do that? My Perl skills are not all
that great......

I tried to reinstall via CPAN but that seemed to fail.........

Is there like a perl recompile all or something?

Patrick Bihan-Faou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did an upgrade on saturday and experience the same kind of problems
> described below. The basic problem is that perl modules compiled before the
> upgrade can not load properly anymore. In order to fix this I had to
> recompile all the perl modules I am using to return to a functional system.
>
> The modules that need to be recompiled are the ones that rely on C code and
> hence create shared libraries that are loaded when a "use xyz;" is done in
> perl.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Patrick.
>
> "Eric Dannewitz" <ericdano@jazz-sax.com> wrote in message
> > procedure that I did.
> >
> > make buildworld
> > shutdown now
> > mount -u /
> > mount -a -t ufs
> > swapon -a
> > cd /usr/src
> > make installworld
> >
> > Then I also upgrade the kernel as suggested on the online freebsd.org.
> I've
> > updated my system regularly since January.
> >
> > Problem seems to be that Apache and Perl are not happy with something in
> the
> > latest Stable. Apache 1.3.12 would not start, giving me an error
> > "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1  undefined pl_stack_max".
> >
> > And with perl, all the modules and bundles seem to have gotten screwed up.
> I could
> > not get perl -MCPAN -e shell then install Bundle::CPAN to work at all. It
> would
> > error out in various places, citing that MD5 was missing. That was never a
> problem
> > before.
> >
> > I restored from a backup I made last weekend of my 4.2 stable system, and
> > everything is working fine now, including Apache and Perl. I can and just
> did
> > install the latest CPAN Bundle. So, whatever happened seems gone now.
> >
> > I'm a little leery about stable now. I was having no problems updating my
> server
> > every weekend with CVSUP and then doing make buildworld, etc......
> >
> > Wolfgang Zenker wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,

> for me. I

> make
> and this
> > >
> > > Did you just forget to mention make buildkernel and make installkernel
> or
> > > did you really just upgrade the world without upgrading your kernel?
> > > If the latter, thats probably the cause of your problems.
> > >
> > > Wolfgang

Back up my hard disk? I can't find the reverse switch!

Eric Dannewitz - Adventurer, saxophonist, good-timer (crook? quite possibly),
clarinetist, manic self-publicist, part-time flautist(flutist?), macintosher,
and often thought to be completely out to lunch. http://www.jazz-sax.com