Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:11:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@wireless.net>
To:        Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staroffice 5.2 installation under FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE?

Hi Rob, et. al:

I figured out what the problem is and got Staroffice 5.2 to fully install
under 4.0-RELEASE.

The problem has to do with the libraries unpacked by the setup.bin (and
part of f0000) not being reference to by /compat/linux/etc/ld.so.cache.

My steps were:
mkdir /compat/linux/tmp
echo "/compat/linux/tmp/sv001.tmp" >> /compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf
echo "/usr/tmp/office52_temp" >> /compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf
run so-5.2* (97MB file of web site)
install into /usr/tmp/office52_temp
wait till error message
kill installer window
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig
rerun so-5.2*
this time install into /usr/local/office52
rm -rf /usr/tmp/office52_temp

Works great.. No hangups or freezes or crashes for a few days of trying
various things, wordproc/spreadsheet mostly.

Now, how on earth does one turn this mess into a "usable" ports entry?

Is it a "bug" of the Linux emulation to not scan the current directory for
shared libraries?

Best Regards,

Bernie