Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:40:56 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

[snipping again]

Paul Richards wrote:

> I think you're missing the point that was being made.

	I think I understand your point quite well. I just don't necessarily
agree with it.

> If you force companies to spend money branding their own products they
> are far less likely to pay anything back to the FreeBSD community
> because FreeBSD would then be one of their competitors rather than a
> stable mate.

	This is as close as either of you has come to a convincing argument.
However, I think Brett gave a really good example of when it would be
wise for the freebsd trademark owners to license use of the name.
Something like the freebsd power pack that WC put out would be a good
reason to let them use the name, since it adds value to the brand. I'm
not advocating _never_ letting anyone use it, I'm just saying that I
don't want use of the name to be rubber stamped.

	Of course, I also sympathize fully with your point about letting people
make money by adding value to the project. I'm as big of a capitalist as
anyone, and I don't want to put _unreasonable_ impediments in front of
anyone. However, the most important issue (in my mind) is protection of
the brand. Not all ideas that will make money for the person with the
idea are good.

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"