Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 19:17:59 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        jgrosch@MooseRiver.com, "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetGear 10/100 Ethernet: an oversight?

> When Compaq bought DEC, most of DEC's network manufacturing, including
> the design rights to the Tulip chip, were bought by Bay Networks, nee
> Nortel.  I assume the FA310TX is still being made with the Tulip,
> unless Bay got smart and killed it.  In that case, it's probably
> either a PNIC or the other Tulip-like chip from Winbond.

The Tulip design is owned by Intel.

The new Netgear cards are not the FA310TX.  I think they use the PNIC
part, but my memory's never been the best.  Ask Bill Paul if you really
care.

Alternatively, if the GENERIC kernel isn't probing the card, please
tell us which chip is actually on it, so that we can fix things.