Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:42:56 -0500
From:      JT <luser@ahab.com>
To:        Bruno Miguel <brunomiguel@netcabo.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.2 and syslog mess. /kernel: arp: IP_ADDRESS is on fxp0

deja.com has a whole bunch of stuff about this; it's not new or
necessarily incorrect, but it's definitely not a -stable issue.

The answer is quite simple; two network cards attached to
the same physical network.  It's not the real or fake IPs, it's that
the arp packet gets to the kernel via a different NIC than it thinks
it should and it's assumed that different interfaces go on different
networks.  I can easily reproduce this.

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 09:31:21PM -0000, Bruno Miguel wrote:
> > I'm having a similar problem.  2 network cards in each of 3 machines.  3
> > connections  to VLAN 2, 3 connections to VLAN 2.  The ports are not
> > common.   For some reason (I'm assumming it's a misconfigured VLAN) no
> > traffic is allowed to flow over VLAN 2 and the arp replies from vlan2
> > requests are being returned through vlan1.
> >
> > Am I just dumbfounded or do I need a second switch?
>
> I have both real and private ips connected to the same cisco 3500XL
> switches and gettin' those messages like hell. I still haven't figured out what's
> hapening. No nic card has both private and real ips. I have separate for each
> sub-net.
>

>    ...:-=>> The freaking Mail Band <<=-:...
>             brunomiguel@netcabo.pt
>           D.E.Q. @ I.S.T. - Portugal