Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2021 16:10:41 -0400
From:      Paul <pkagan@videotron.ca>
To:        Paul Procacci <pprocacci@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cannot upload file via http

It does not work I set the permissions to 777 for document root and it does n=
ot work. The owner is www. I wish to be able to upload a file , it worked at=
 1 time not sure why it no longer works on several websites. It=E2=80=99s us=
eful for wordpress or like if I just want to be able to upload a document.

Envoy=C3=A9 de mon iPad

> Le 18 mars 2021 =C3=A0 13:25, Paul Procacci <pprocacci@gmail.com> a =C3=A9=
crit :
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> This question isn't suitable for the FreeBSD mailing list as this isn't a =
FreeBSD problem.
>=20
> With that said, you must ensure all the directories leading up to the dire=
ctory you want to place the file in has the execute bit set so that the user=
 running as the web server has the ability to traverse the file system.
> Not just the primary directory where the file will end up.
>=20
> An example of what I mean:
> root@nas:~ # find /tmp/test -type d -ls
> 101190        1 drwx------    3 root                             wheel    =
                               3 Mar 18 13:20 /tmp/test
> 101327        1 drwxrwxrwx    2 root                             wheel    =
                               2 Mar 18 13:20 /tmp/test/this
>=20
> % touch /tmp/test/this/
> touch: /tmp/test/this/: Permission denied
>=20
> This advice is `blind` in a sense because there is no error message that y=
ou actually provided.
> Perhaps it boils down to the write actually taking place, yet happens in a=
 location you aren't expecting.
> In cases like this, and in the case of FreeBSD you can truss(1) the web se=
rver process and figure out exactly what it's doing.