Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:15:13 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ricardo_N=FA=F1ez?= <rinunez@telcel.net.ve>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Atapi CD-ROM

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ricardo_N=FA=F1ez?= wrote:

> Dear Gentlemen,
>
> Iīve just installed FreeBSD 2.2.1 from a DOS partition.
>
> I have an IDE (ATAPI?) CD-ROM: Creative CD-ROM Drive. Itīs installed via a
> Sound Blaster card.
>
> The documentation told me to make a boot floppy with FLOPPIES\ATAPI.FLP...
> Whereīs that? Itīs not in my CD-ROM, and itīs not in the FreeBSD FTP
> server. Well all I can say itīs not in FreeBSD 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 directories.

The documentation is old. The standard boot.flp should find it just fine.

> OK. The second point is that Iīm trying my FreeBSD already installed to
> detect it. Well I understand MATCDC0 driver is for my CD-ROM... It canīt
> detect it.

NO! IDE CD-ROMs are driven by the wcd driver. You don't need the matcd
driver. However, you need your CD to be connected to one of the main EIDE
controllers (the same ones you use to connect your HDs to, assuming your
disks are IDE as well). The best combination seems to be either:
- Have the CD as the slave of the primary EIDE controller (with the first
  disk as its master).

OR

- Have the CD as the master (or only device) on the secondary EIDE
  controller.

> >From DOS it says itīs in PORT 168 and IRQ 10 (Creative DOS Driver 1.19).
>
> Iīve tried (because of my Sound Blaster documentation):
> 1) Ports 0x168, 0x178 (0x10 more), with IRQs 10 and 11
> 2) Ports 0x1e8, 0x1f8 (0x10 more), with IRQs 11 and 12
> 3) Ports 0x170, 0x180 (0x10 more), with IRQ 15
> 4) Ports 0x1f0, 0x200 (0x10 more), with IRQs 14
>
> Well, no way. FreeSD doesnīt like my CD-ROM drive.
>
> What do you recommend me to do?

See above. Probably all there is to it is to disconnect the drive from
the SoundBlaster and connect it to an EIDE controller on your motherboard.

> Thank you,
>
> Ricardo Nunez

You're most welcome,
Nadav