Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 08:25:49 -0500
From:      "Michael P. Deslippe" <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
To:        bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil, Lars Koeller <lkoeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does this mean from the nightly run?

Actually, I have ran it.  I've tried:

makewhatis $MANPATH
makewhatis /usr/local/man
/usr/bin/makewhatis /usr/share/man

I've run them as root and as a user and I always get the same
message:

     su-2.00# makewhatis -v /var/qmail/man
     su: /usr/bin/makewhatis: No such file or directory

There *IS* a whatis file in the directories /usr/local/man and
/usr/share/man, but they won't update and using it in the qmail
directory return the error above.  Sometimes WHATIS returns info,
sometimes not - there are many cases where apropos returns something
but WHATIS will not.  I can also see the MAN pages have been added
since the last date of the WHATIS file (I assume this means it hasn't
been updated with that info) and as you can see, I continue to get
the errors on the weekly event.  The WHATIS file is _rw_r__r__

p.s.  I didn't think I had a WHATIS database because I'd never used
it and received the errors I mentioned.  When I lloked in the two
directories, there is something there.

Thanks,

---Mike