Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:01:22 +1100 (EST)
From:      J R Matthews <jrm@delta-e.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/bin/finger problems...

Whom it concerns,

I just upgraded a myriad of my systems from 4.6R-p2 to 4.7 and
lo-and-behold I could no longer use /usr/bin/finger to get a finger from
remote Ascend NAS.

Funnily enough, it still worked on remote Cisco and unix boxen.

Still - i got shitty with it, and dug into the problem.

In 4.6R there was no INET6 support - 4.7 onwards now has it and someone
just very simply screwed up typing in the new code, as you'll plainly see.

Old Code snippet from net.c

	iov[msg.msg_iovlen].iov_base = "\r\n";

New code snippet from net.c

	static char neteol[] = "\n\r";
	.
	.
	.
	iov[msg.msg_iovlen].iov_base = neteol;

Well, it's pretty obvious what the problem now isnt it? :)

And, of course - changing it to the old behavior of "\r\n" does fix it and
my problems are no more.

I can submit a patch to fix this if you want or not.. I honestly dont give
a damn to be honest ;)

Regards,
Jenna

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not on the freebsd-questions list.