Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:06:54 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CURRENT's termcap broken

In the last episode (Aug 28), Jens Schweikhardt said:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:35:32PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> # On (2002/08/28 19:04), Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
> # > Yes, use plain TERM=xterm. It's got color now as it should. I'm
> # > thinking of removing xterm-color if I can't resolve the
> # > enter_alt_charset_mode stuff. Let me know if TERM=xterm does not
> # > work as expected in mutt et al. I'll post a minor HEADS UP to
> # > current@.
> #
> # Doesn't work for centericq or mutt.
>
> Are you sure? I use mutt too (in an rxvt), and TERM=xterm works
> wonderfully with colors. Hang on, will test mutt in plain xterm...
> yes, works there too.

Older versions of the mutt port used the slang terminal library, which
had (has?) a bug that assumed that all xterms supported color.  It
didn't matter what your termcap says.

If "tput Co" prints '8', your termcap entry supports colors.

If "ldd usr/local/bin/mutt" shows libslang instead of libncurses, it'll
display colors no matter what.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com