Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:34:36 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        deischen@freebsd.org
Cc:        davidxu@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KSE/ia64 broken

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 07:54:24PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> > > I don't think so.  I think the thread stack/frame is corrupted, either
> > > because it is copied out or resumed incorrectly.  I'll do some more
> > > digging.
> >
> > I loaded it up in the simulator. The thread is continuously being
> > resumed because of a page fault that results in an upcall, which
> > ends up in the UTS, which selects the same thread, which causes the
> > page fault again.
>
> Is it possible the thread is marked for an upcall when the
> page is not yet present?

No, it's just a side-effect. The problem is that we get an upcall
when we allocate struct pthread for the signal daemon. This is
before we set the maximum concurrency. The upcall is what's causing
problems, because previously the KSE lock prevented the upcall.
I don't yet know what exactly is being messed up, but eventually
we clobber memory. The clobbering invalidates pointerd and that's
what's causing the page faults. Hence, the damage has been done
before we get the SIGILL.

Yes, I get the threads@ mail.