Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 2002 19:09:43 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Data corruption in soft updates?

	Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:04:03 -0800 (PST)
	From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
	To: current@freebsd.org
	cc: mckusick@mckusick.com
	Subject: Data corruption in soft updates?

	I rebuilt my kernel with today's current + the acpica-20021122
	patch and rebooted.  I use ufs1, no acls or special options
	other than SU (installed with DP1).  Everything booted fine
	with some errors from acpi but as booting proceeded, I
	started getting kernel messages of "bad inode".  I quickly
	rebooted to single user and ran fsck and got a huge set of
	errors.  See this partial log (600KB gzipped):

	   http://www.root.org/~nate/fsck.gz

	I didn't touch all those files (just booted and started
	getting errors) so I don't want to say "yes" to deleting
	them.  Do I have to newfs/reinstall?  Should I try using a
	superblock backup?

	-Nate

It appears that you are getting all those errors (BAD block)
because fsck thinks that your filesystem is smaller than it
really is. If you do a dumpfs on the filesystem and check
the size (about line 5), I expect that you will find that
all those bad blocks exceed that size. It might be interesting
to check one or more of the alternate blocks to see if they
have a different size. If so, using an alternate should help.
If not, then the question is why all those out of range blocks
were allocated.

	Kirk McKusick