Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:20:14 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Marcel Mason <mmason@nunanet.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CVSUP 3.0-RELEASE

I am not aware of the caveat about not moving from whole number releases
via cvsup so am of not help there and would'nt have suggested it if I knew
that to be true. One of the Xperts here may be able to give a good
reason... perhaps some of it could be that 4.4 may put some important
things in different places.... dunno. That's also why I suggested you do a
backup if you want to try it. It would certainly be an interesting
experiment. I use one box for that very purpose... that is, I first apply
all cvsups to it to see if there are any problems. If not, then I do the
same cvsups to the others.... and not make any of the same mistakes if any....

At 12:41 PM 10.29.2001 -0500, Marcel Mason wrote:

>The general advice I remember getting regarding csvup was that it's not
>necessarily a good idea to use it to move between whole number releases
>(eg 3.x -> 4.x) although quite frankly the reasons for this were fairly
>unclear.
>
>Are there in fact serious issues with doing this and would they be
>compounded by not only going from 3.x -> 4.x but moving from RELEASE to
>STABLE at the same time?
>
>It would be the preferable option to have all boxes running the same
>release.
>
>Marcel
>
>On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 jacks@sage-american.com wrote:
>
>> Unless you are too concerned about the box, I'd back it up real good and
>> then do the cvsup to ver 4.4 Stable....great version with all the up to
>> date stuff. Then you could consider the Current if you feel like it...
>> that's just my opinion though.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin