Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:58:11 +0100
From:      rene@xs4all.nl
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   what is a good language for system administration?

So I've learned how to do basic scripting in /bin/sh. But boy-oh-boy is that
language arcane. ;-)

What other language do you guys advise for system administration tasks such
as
* checking if a remote host is up
* pumping files & RAM data through external tools
* calling scripts written in the same language on a remote machine, to
  'pickup' data that was pumped to that machine by a local script.

My wishlist for the language, prioritized with most important first:
* portability! to other UNIXes, and even Windoze.
* low system demands - it needs to run on lowend boxes aswell
* clear organization of any 'plugins' (which need to be replicated on other
  machines aswell)
* a nice errorhandling & logging system

I could really use some clues here. PHP comes into mind, but maybe there are
other better options?

Friendly greets,
  Rene Veerman