Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 16:48:01 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HPDA/DAC960PL errors

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>

| None taken.  Unfortunately the 3.x firmware is probably going to have the
| same problem; we cap at 16 S/G segments there as well.

Then I won't jump up right now an order the 3.x firmware.  In other words,
DAC960 firmware 2.x and 3.x on x86 is broken, period.  (Again, just checking
facts).

I'm going to set the box up on a single SCSI drive for now.  If you want to
make patches available to me when you get them done, I'd do some testing for
you with both the 2.73 and the 3.x firmware.

| I know what's going on there - I don't support I/O mapped controllers at
| all.  I'm not sure that I want to, either, yet; there is a performance
| cost that extends to other controllers if I do.  If you can narrow down
| the differences between the controllers that come up I/O mapped and those
| that come up memory-mapped, I'd really appreciate it.  It's possible that
| the I/O mapped ones can be convinced to memory-map if I can work out
| what's wrong.

Mylex claims that any card with a Mfg. ID of D040-347 or later can get the
firmware upgrade chips.  The card I have at home is a DAC960PL but is
D040-345 -- no firmware upgrade available, even though it sports two flash
sockets just like the 960PL I have at work which is D040-354 which *can* get
the flash upgrade.

The two cards look pretty much identical, although the older one has SCSI
controllers on it I don't recognize and the newer one has Symbios Logic
controllers.

I'm not Sherlock Holmes, but I'd wager that cards -347 and after the have
some difference in controller logic that enables memory mapping, and support
for memory mapping is manditory in the 3.x firmware.  Whether this has
anything to do with which SCSI chips get used or not is beyond my knowledge
level, but if I was writing a README as to which card the driver supported I
wouldn't feel bad about using this logic.

It would certainly account for why a -345 card won't memory map and can't
get a flash chip  upgrade and -347s and above can, even though the -345
sports two flash sockets.

I have one other DAC960, but it's an even older, DAC960E-2 card which as I
look at it is an EISA card, not PCI.  It sports Symbios SCSI chips, but it
also sports 50 PIN connectors.  I can check this one to see if it does
indeed fail to memory map (does the driver even support EISA cards?), but
I'd bet it won't memory map as its series -312.  It doesn't support flash at
all, looks like the firmware is on EEPROM.

Anyway, now I know more about Mylex cards than I thought I ever would.