Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:56:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no space left when df shows 250MB free space? how?

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> about the %8, I use these disks as cache for squid and it is nearly full
> all the time so they were always on space optimization mode I thought it
> would not make too much overhead to change this...

It usually does.  I would need a good reason to lower it below the default
value.  FFS does defragmentation on the fly , and with very little free
space, it copies lots of stuff around.  A file on an FFS consists of full
blocks, and at most one partial block.  When the filesystem is nearly full,
a full block maybe impossible to find, without moving one or more partial
blocks around.  It is also possible that it is impossible  to find, in which
case the allocation will fail.  Given that you are not out of inodes, nor
are anywhere close, I suspect that you ran into this.  If your avererage
filesize is small, you are more likely to see this. (Less than 8KB.)

> also we only have a 256kbit connection to the internet so we can get
> 32kb/sec max I thought this would not saturate the drive performance so much
> since only space optimization effects the writings and we are not writing
> too much to the disk...am I right? in future I am thinking of changing it

Space optimization will effect read performance as well, though to alessor
degree.  At least that is what my intution tells me.  I don't have number to
bakc that up.

> what do you mean by every 4 frags? and 1024? by the way how can I
> find more information about inodes?

To start, read the nefs(8) and fs(5) man pages, as well as
/usr/share/doc/papers/diskperf.ascii.gz.  A good UNIX book should have more
accessable information, but I haven't got any at hand to make a
recomendation.

David Scheidt