Date:      Fri, 16 May 2003 09:33:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
To:        Carl Morley <bsdmn@webize.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

> Yes, I have had these problems too.  And even the HDD controller has
> done some pretty mysterious stuff.

Mentioning the HDD controllers...I've not used any official Via boards,
but I've had my hands on a few other systems using the EPIA chipsets and
embedded CPUs...(600 and 933 samuel 2s)

What sort of HDD problems have you seen?

I've seen complete system powerdowns related to IDE writes to the
/secondary/ controller when using solidstate flash media. (DOMs and CF)

We have realtek nics on these, so I cannot comment on the vr drivers. :)

Our vendor said that Via confirmed problems with the secondary IDE
controller...our vendor wasn't able to get a solution from Via so they
redesigned the board to use the primary IDE controller for the flash.

I don't know for sure that this applies to the EPIA boards, but it'd be
worth a check if you're using flash media.

....david

---
david raistrick
drais@atlasta.net		http://www.expita.com/nomime.html