Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:06:30 -0400
From:      PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
To:        herbert langhans <herbert.raimund@gmx.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: flashplugin

Thank you very much Herbert,

I appreciate your input.
As I wrote in my original query, I had auccessfully installed the
lilnux-flashplugin9 on FreeBSD 7.2 both on a 64 bit portable _ Acer
Travelmate 4400 - and on a couple of disks on the same machine (i386). I
followed the instructions  from
http://crnl.org/blog/2008/11/01/flash-9-for-freebsd-71#comment-form

 upgrade FreeBSD. Once that's done the rest is straight forward.

            Step 1: Enable Linux compatibility and linprocfs
            Add linux_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf. Add
compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16 to /etc/sysctl.conf. Add
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8 to /etc/make.conf. Add this line to /etc/fstab:
            linproc /usr/compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0
            Then run these commands:
            mkdir -p /usr/compat/linux/proc
mount /usr/compat/linux/proc
/etc/rc.d/abi start
/etc/rc.d/sysctl start
            Step 2: Update ports and install all the needed software
            You will now need to install the following ports and their
dependencies:
            cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f8 && make install clean
cd /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin9 && make install clean
cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper && make install clean
            Follow the nspluginwrapper instructions to enable all
available plugins:
            # nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
Auto-install plugins from /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin
Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin
Install plugin /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
into /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
Auto-install plugins from /root/.mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /root/.mozilla/plugins
            Restart or open Firefox 3 and enter about:plugins into your
address bar. You should see something like the following:

            And that's it! Open your favourite Flash site and all should
work.
            If your browser doesn't register the Shockwave Flash plugin
as pictured above, you might need to do a bit of extra work as I had to
do on one of my machines:
            cd /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins && ln -s
/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
            I'm not sure why one of my machines needed this, but it
might happen to you so this is just a heads up.
            Update: I have learned that the change with the plugin
directory is due to a change in FreeBSD's Firefox 3 port. If you're
running port version 3.0.1_1 or later you will need to use the new
plugin directory as shown above. CVS change history can be seen here.
            Enjoy!

Worked without a problem. But while learning how to dump/restore to make
clones, I cannot imagine what happened, but I found that the machines
now had lilnux-fc4 distribution. This did not work. I have tried to
install all the versions  of  linux, except the f10, and all versions of
flashplayer 0 7, 9 and even 10 ... no way will it work...so I just have
to abandon it an accept the fact that Adobe sucks just as much as
MushWindows.

I have also tried following the instructions in the manual and have lost
a tremendous lot of time... really, this is the kind of shit that we
just don't need ... why do we tolerate the likes of Adobe and MS?
(Rhetorical question)
Thanks, anyway.